February 24 — The Claudette Upton Scholarship is an annual, national award that recognizes a promising student editor from among Editors Canada’s student affiliates. It was awarded for the first time in 2010. It is a $1,000 scholarship to help support continuing professional development in editing.
The 2020 scholarship will be awarded on Saturday, June 20, at the International Editors Conference 2020, hosted by Editors Canada, in Montreal, Quebec.
How to apply
Applicants must be current student affiliates of Editors Canada. The application package is to be submitted in digital format and must include:
- a reference letter from an instructor in the applicant’s course or program;
- a resumé (two pages maximum) describing the applicant’s education and work history; and
- a 300-word statement that answers the following question: Our world is getting smaller and more connected. What challenges does this hyper-connected world present for editors and what are the skills we need to meet those challenges?
Submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application package must reach the national office by Friday, April 3, 2020.
The applications will be evaluated by the scholarship selection committee. The recipient will be the applicant who best demonstrates the following qualities:
- aptitude for editing;
- commitment to pursuing a career as an editor; and
- qualities reminiscent of honorary life member Claudette Upton.